Our current research areas include:
- Gold standards and generic SCOT for assessing undergraduate competency in exodontia and surgical exodontia
- National undergraduate survey of confidence in oral surgery
- Oral cancer teaching survey
- Creation of virtual competencies
- Validation of suture and exodontia SCOTs
- Collaborative work with ABSTD on clinical competency
From the Committee
Curriculum document developed by the ABAOMS subgroup for teaching: UK National Curriculum for Undergraduate Oral Surgery: Download
Pertinent papers from the members of the Committee
- Anziani H, Durham J and Moore UJ (2008) Exploring the relationship between formative and summative assessment of undergraduates in oral surgery. In Press – Eur J Dent Educ
- Durham J, Moore UJ, Corbett IP, Thomson PJ (2007) Assessing competency in Dentoalveolar surgery: a 3-year study of cumulative experience in the undergraduate curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ, 11, 200-207.
- Evans, AW (2001) Assessing competence in surgical dentistry. Br Dent J, 190, 343-346.
- Evans, AW et al. (2002) Assessment of surgeon competency to remove mandibular third molar teeth. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 31, 434-438.
- Hanson C, Mossey P, Macluskey M. The assessment of suturing skills of dental undergraduates. Eur J Dent Educ. 2010 May;14(2):113-7.
- Macluskey, M. et al. (2004) Development of a structured clinical operative test (SCOT) in the assessment of practical ability in the oral surgery undergraduate curriculum. Br Dent J, 196, 225-228.
- Macluskey M, J. Durham, C. Balmer, A. Bell, J. Cowpe, L Dawson, C. Freeman, C. Hanson, A. McDonagh, J. Jones, L. Millsopp, R. Oliver. Dental Student Suturing Skills: A Multicentre trial of a Checklist Based Assessment. Eur J Dent Educ 2011; 15: 1-6.
- Macluskey M, J. Durham, A. Bell, J. Cowpe, St J. Crean, A. Dargue, L. Dawson, C. Freeman, J. Jones, A. McDouagh, S. McHanwell, J. Marley, L. Myrddin, L. Millsopp, R. Oliver, T. Renton, K. Taylor and P. Thomson.
A national survey of UK final year students’ opinion of undergraduate oral surgery teaching. Eur J Dent Educ 16 (2012) e205–e212.
ISSN 1396-5883, doi:10.1111/j.1600-0579.2011.00717.x
- Macluskey M, Durham J, Renton, T (2006) Competency based surgery Br Dent J, 201, 415
- Macluskey M and Durham J (2008) Oral Surgery Undergraduate Teaching and Experience in the United Kingdom: A National Survey. Eur J Dent Educ 2009 Feb;13(1):52-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2008.00537.x. PMID:19196294
- Macluskey M and C Hanson. The retention of suturing skills in dental undergraduates. Eur J Dent Educ 2011 ; 15: 42-46.
- Moore UJ, Durham J, Corbett IP, Thomson PJ (2008) The influence of staffing and timetabling on achieving competence in surgical extractions. In Press – Eur J Dent Educ
- Macluskey M, Shepherd S, Carter E, Bulsara Y, Durham JA, Bell A, Dargue A, Emanuel C, Freeman C, Jones J, Khawaja N, Leeson R, Marley J, Andiappan M, Millsopp L, Nayyer N, Renton T, Taylor K, Thomson P, Toedtling V. A national follow-up survey of UK graduates opinion of undergraduate oral surgery teaching Eur J Dent Educ. 2016 Aug;20(3):174-9. doi: 10.1111/eje.12158.
- Hanson C, Wilkinson T and Macluskey M. Do dental undergraduates think that Thiel-embalmed Cadavers are a more realistic model for teaching exodontia? Eur J Dent Educ in press